Wednesday, September 25, 2013

You don't know my story

While chatting with a co-worker an interesting observation came out of his mouth ... he commented on how I should consider myself blessed because I didn't suffer with my cancer treatments.  I found that so amazing and WRONG.  He was comparing me to another co-worker who appeared to age more than 30 years within 4 months of starting chemo. 

I honestly get very disappointed with folks who feel I didn't suffer enough or at least to their level of acceptable suffering.  For instance the person who had the audacity to tell me they would have done something for me, but I didn't look sick (???????????), so they figured I didn't need help ... emotional, financial or otherwise. 

One thing I have learned is never to assume everyone goes through the same experience or that everyone has it easier than me.  I have learned that just like me, others put on an outside mask everyday to face the world and we press our way through.

During one my talks I shared how my past prepared me for my present.  I truly believe those things God allowed to happen gave me the foundation and strength to endure these last several years.  What most people don't know ... there are many other things going on in my life and I really don't have time to focus on the downside of my journey.

It is so funny ... we really do have to be damn near knocking at death's door before some people will extend a helping hand, a gentle touch or a kind word.

No comments:

Post a Comment