Wednesday, September 18, 2013

In A Twinkling ...

Life is so funny.  Monday night I was on the phone with a very dear friend ... my confidante ... one of the few folks I allow inside my life.  We were joking around as usual, but she sounded so tired.  I had mentioned to her during the week how she sounded like she needed some rest.  She would say she was fine and we would continue our jokes. 

That Monday night on the phone I decided to end our conversation earlier than usual by telling her to get some rest.  She then relented by saying she did all of sudden feel really tired and would try to stretch out for a bit. 

It was early Tuesday morning that my phone rang with the news that she was in ICU.  She had suffered a massive heart attack AFTER we had ended our conversation the night before.  Tears streamed down my cheeks as I thought of not having my 'partner' beside me.  I pulled myself together and slowly digested the rest of the information.  I could hear the cracking in her daughter's voice and she, like me, attempted to put on the brave face. 

She kept me posted on her progress and I kept her lifted in prayer.  As soon as she was able to talk on the phone ... I called.  I gave her my best jokes and she laughed ... as much as she could. 

She was moved from ICU to a cardiac floor today and I was able to go sit with her for a few hours.  It was so wonderful to see her sitting up, talking and immediately we began our back-n-forth jokes.  Then I sat down, so she could (in her own way) give me the details of what transpired.  It hurt me to hear ... what she went through, what they had to do to save her ... how they didn't think she would make it ... She is optimistic they will let her go home by Friday.

I am so glad He is a God of a second chance.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment