Saturday, October 26, 2013

Do You Remember?

The old folks say if you survive (insert YOUR drama here) you're here for a reason ... a purpose. 
One thing I can say is my life has been filled with drama.  I tend to avoid reality shows because I can't stand the scripted drama.  It says to me 'the creators feel your life is boring to viewing America, so we're going to make it ratings worthy' ... now pick up that shoe and beat your best friend.  As if real life doesn't have enough of its own challenges (smh).

It took years of growing, maturing and learning for me to realize, for every rough situation in which I emerged scratched but not destroyed, I owed everything to God.

  • I remember climbing trees to get to the top of the roof of a two-story building, so I could jump from the roof (so thankful for soft, uncut grass).
  • I remember hitchhiking rides when I was in a hurry, too young to drive and no close friends with transportation.  Yup ... just hopping into cars with strange men (no women ever seemed to slow down) and depending upon them to get me to my destination safely ... and in 'tact'.  Only once did I have to implement protective measures, but that didn't deter me from continuing the very dangerous practice. 
  • I remember jumping in the car with my Mom to go beat up the 'other woman'.  Yeah, I was a ride or die chick before it was popular. 
  • I remember drinking so much I couldn't feel my lips and yet I got behind the wheel of my car and drove 30 miles to get home. 
  • I remember being robbed ... at gun point.  I placed my hand on the gun and pushed it away thinking it was a joke.
  • I remember throwing myself down a flight of stairs ... when events in my life had begun to consume me.
So many times, too many to list here (and some too embarrassing) ... God stepped in when my foolishness took over and He saved me from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment